image: title

Celebrate and learn about special days
every day of the year!

   
Back to Facts of the Day Calendar UK Calendar dates british festivals .... folklore ... anniversaries .... on this day


Earth Day

image: Earth

Earth Day is an annual event that aims to inspire awareness of and appreciation for our environment. There are two different observances of Earth Day, both held annually during spring in the northern hemisphere. The United Nations celebrates Earth Day each year on the vernal (March) equinox; while a global observance in many countries is held each year on 22 April.

Facts about Earth

Age: 4.6 billion years old (Life as we know it, has only existed on the planet for the last 150 million to 200 million years)

Position: 3rd planet from the sun.

Size: 5th largest planet in our solar system.

Diameter: The Earth has an average diameter of 12,742 kilometers. (7,926 miles)

Earth is the only planet in the Solar System to have water in its three states of matter: as a solid (ice), a liquid (sea, rain, etc.) and as a gas (clouds).

The length of time it takes for Earth to orbit the Sun is 365 and a quarter days. To make up this extra quarter which isn't counted at the end of a year, we have an extra day every four years on 29th February.

Earth travels through space at 66,700 miles per hour.

The centre of the Earth, its core, is molten. This means that it is liquid rock which sometimes erupts onto the surface through volcanic eruptions. This core is 7,500°c, hotter than the surface of the Sun!

Earth is the only planet in the Solar System not to be named after a mythical God.

Only 29% of the surface is actually 'earth.' The rest of the planet's surface (71%) is made up of water.

Also on this day ........

Good Friday
Information on the meaning, history, customs and traditions of Good Friday and why the day is called Good Friday.
http://projectbritain.com/easter/goodfriday.htm

British and World Marbles Championship
britishmarbles.org.uk
Marbles, a once popular playground game, is taken to the most competitive level in the British and World Marbles Championship, at The Greyhound, Tinsley Green in Sussex, England

The game of marbles has been played for hundreds of years and some historians say that it might have been started by rolling eggs. In the past, round stones, hazelnuts, round balls of baked clay and even cherry stones have been used.

In some place in England, Good Frday was called Marble Day or Long Rope Day. All through Lent the traditional games marbles and skipping were played. The games were stopped on the stroke of twelve noon on Good Friday.

 

See Teaching Resources for today's date

Back to Facts of the Day Calendar


Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | Jun | Jul | Aug | Sept | Oct | Nov | Dec

email© Copyright - please read
All the materials on these pages are free for homework and classroom use only. You may not redistribute, sell or place the content of this page on any other website or blog without written permission from the Mandy Barrow.
projectbritain.com | primaryhomeworkhelp.co.uk

Facts and information about LondonBritish Royal FamilyVirtual Tour of the Thames

Special facts and information about each month of the yearInformation on Britain and the UK for Kids of all agesBritish History

© Copyright Mandy Barrow 2013

Follow Project BritainTwitterFollow Mandy Barrow on TwitterGoogle Plus

Mandy is the creator of the Woodlands Resources section of the Woodlands Junior website. 
The two websites projectbritain.com and primaryhomeworkhelp.co.uk 
are the new homes for the Woodlands Resources.

Mandy left Woodlands in 2003 to work in Kent schools as an ICT Consulatant. 
She now teaches computers at The Granville School and St. John's Primary School in Sevenoaks Kent.

Woodlands Junior Homework Help new website


born on this day what happened on this day famous birthdays interesting facts did you know Interesting Calendar Facts.