The Mall | Admiralty Arch
Leading from the southwest corner of Trafalgar Square into the Mall is Admiralty Arch, commissioned by King Edward VII in memory of his mother Queen Victoria. It was designed by Sir Aston Webb (who also worked on Buckingham Palace and the Victoria and Albert Museum) and was completed in 1911.
The five arches lead from Trafalgar Square to the Mall
A Latin inscription along the top reads:
"ANNO DECIMO EDWARDI SEPTIMI REGIS VICTORIÆ REGINÆ CIVES GRATISSIMI MDCCCCX"
In English it reads:
"In the tenth year of King Edward VII, to Queen Victoria, from most grateful citizens, 1910"
The Admiralty Arch, which takes its name from the nearby Royal Navy Headquarters. It was originally used as the offices and residences for the Sea Lords, leaders of the Royal Navy. Today it is home to several British government offices.
Ship on top of a street lamp
The traffic does not pass through the massive central arch - that is only opened for state occasions.
The impressive archways of Admiralty Arch form a ceremonial entrance to The Mall leading up to Buckingham Palace.
Looking towards Buckingham Palace
St. James' Park is on one side, and Marlborough Hous and St. James' Palace are on the other.
Looking towards Admiralty Arch from Buckingham Palace
Find the answers to questions during your imaginary visit to London.
A short walk from Buckingham Palace is St James' Palace